Last weekend Ollie and I celebrated 5 years of marriage! Now to some who have been married for way past 20 years or so, you may not see this as a big accomplishment, but I would say that in today's society 5 years is a big deal! It's crazy to think too that this April we will have been together for 10! If you have been together for many, many more years than me...tell me how you did it!! It's my prayer to make it 20, 30, even 50 years! (Considering we got married when I was 20, we have to live to 70).
Marriage is full of wonderful moments (and a lot of hard work!). It's full of laughter, tears, smiles, memories, sadness, joy and so much more. It's a journey...one that you don't take alone, through both the good and bad. We have done a lot since we got married back in 2007...we graduated college (that's right we got married IN college), got two lovely puppies, moved across the country to a much colder climate, started our careers, and then this year had a beautiful baby girl! Moving away from most of our friends and family in Florida, made our marriage stronger because we had to rely on each other completely. We had to be husband, wife, family, friend, shopping buddy -- everything to each other. Having a child solidified us even more. There is nothing like being a parent...she made us a family of three, she made our lives full of love and joy, and she made our marriage even more important to fight for.
I'm by no means a pro at marriage, but here is what I have learned over the past 5 years.
1. Put God at the center of your marriage...it's the only way it will work! "What the father has joined together let no man separate." Matthew 19:6
2. Believe in each other. Marriage isn't about giving up who you are (neither is parenting). I can't tell you how many times I felt like giving up on something and my husband was there rooting me on telling me that I could do it. I believe in following your dreams. I believe in my husbands dreams and he believes in mine.
3. Love unconditionally. At our wedding, our pastor Jamie Stilson said when God created Eve and brought her to Adam, Adam looked at her and said, "you're bone of my bone, and flesh of my flesh." He went on to say that although this isn't very romantic, Adam was saying that he accepted her just as she was to complete him because it wasn't good for man to be alone. The bible says that we should love each other as Jesus loved the church. That marriage is not based on emotions or feelings but the commitment that you made to each other and before God. You build the foundation of your home on these promises not on the feelings you have....and God is there to help us.
4. Never go to bed angry, say sorry often, and forgive quickly. Many times the people you love the most get to see your worst side, that's when this piece of advice is most important.
5. Be a team. It's Ollie and I against the world. We work together. When life gets tough, we figure it out together. And when life is happy, we celebrate together. That is what marriage is made for - being one team.
Our marriage is not perfect and I can't say we do all these things 100% of the time. We need a lot of prayer, a lot of mentoring, and a lot of love...but at the end of the day we have committed to fight for it - no matter what.
What do you think makes a strong marriage? How can we make it last? I'd love to hear what advice you have for us.



I love this! I am totally with you on the "team approach" to life - working together and complimenting each others' strengths is a great gift and a great challenge!
ReplyDelete