Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Day in the Life of a Baby Model

My daughter, my happy daughter...my oh my how hard it is not to take a picture of you every second! I have to remind myself sometimes to live in the moment and not through the lens of my camera. I recently took Aubree's 6 month pictures myself. Since moving here, I have had a hard time finding an inexpensive photographer and let's face it, I want pictures more often than I can afford. So, I have worked on my own skills, learned more about my camera, and turned my house into a studio (since it is soo cold outside).

I've decided that photo shoots are much easier if you let kids just have fun instead of trying to pose them. Yes, I jump around, make lots of loud noises, and scoot her around, but it's not anything that I don't do with her daily anyway. She is obsessed with my phone (well, the picture of herself on it), so I just show her that and it makes her smile and then I snap away. She was infatuated with this rug I made and still gets excited if I set her on it. If you are thinking about taking pictures of your child, try not to get the "perfect" shot. Have fun with it, include unique props, or get them doing every day things. It makes it much easier, and I have found that the pictures turn out better!

Here is a picture of what I did to my kitchen to get those shots. I moved everything out into the living room, and we lived in a mess for two days, but it was worth it! I have an awesome window here with natural light. You can't see it , but my refrigerator is to the left and I usually have a buffet server and a table here! BTW, I live in a town home...it doesn't matter the space you have, all you need is natural light and a cute background.

Here are some tips from the baby model herself:
1. Take time to play with your toys.

2. Eat a healthy breakfast...you need your energy!

3. Stay hydrated...

4. Wash your face. You don't want any milk or food in your pictures.

5. Get your wardrobe on and make sure everything looks ok.

6. Pose, smile and have fun!

7. Time for a nap...sleep tight!

What fun photos have you taken of your kids? 

No comments:

Post a Comment