Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Positive Thinking

The summer after I graduated from high school, I was lucky enough to go to Europe with a bunch of kids from my class including my two best friends. It was an experience to remember and I have TONS of memories from that trip. For one, we would get so tired (and were so used to sleeping on the go) that we would fall asleep as soon as we got on the bus often missing many city tours. Or when we would get loopy and traveling to a new country (think 4 countries in 14 days), we would make up stories on why things were named the way they were...this sounds totally boring, but I remember we would crack up at the bizarre stories we could come up with on why Italy was named Italy. 

Two awesome teachers took us on this trip, Mr. & Mrs. Propert. They had taken many trips overseas and were very knowledgeable...but mostly they saw the importance of learning from other countries. Mr. Propert is a math teacher and so often times I can still picture him when I talk about thinking positive and here is why...ask him, "How do you stay positive?" He will then hold his arms up beside his head and say, "Absolute value signs!" Oh how simple life was in high school! 

It's easy to get in a funk and find yourself wondering how you got there. It is also just as easy to get out of it! And when I say a funk, I mean the feeling you get when you feel like not much is going your way lately and you find it hard to make light of any situation. I often find myself in this situation. I'll be honest...it sometimes looks like a four year old having a pity party stomping their feet in protest. I'm not depressed and I don't need Abilify or anything, I just need an attitude adjustment. Therefore, I have recruited my husband and made some changes. First, we are trusting God! Why do we ever stray away from believing and truly trusting His will and guidance in our life? Second, I have posted positive messages on index cards all around my house, so that I will be constantly reminded of them. Thirdly, we are being an encouragement to each other with uplifting text messages and thoughtful gestures. But above all, I am taking the time to look at all the blessings I have and just simply thank God for them.

What do you do to think positivity? How do you get out of a funk? What's your best encouragement?


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you - on days when I feel in over my head, I remember two things. First, we have so much to be thankful for. So much. Second, tomorrow is another day, so even if today seems like a failure, tomorrow is a chance to try again. Oh, and one more - God gives us grace to cover all things!

    ReplyDelete