Growing up Mother's Day always had a different meaning. As a kid, you're always trying to find a way to make your mom feel special. And when you have a mom like mine who is always doing nice things for you, it can be quite a challenge. When asked what she would want or how she'd like to spend the day she would simply say, "Nothing. I want to spend the day with my kids." This frustrated me! I wanted to buy her something special, cook her an amazing meal, or get her something she couldn't get herself. I didn't understand that just spending time was the most special thing we could do, especially as we got older and moved out of the house. Some of the best Mother's Days I can remember were floating around my mom's pool while my brother cooked on the grill. I don't remember all the gifts I gave (my mom probably does), but I do remember how happy it made my mom...probably because we tried for best on this day to get along! LOL
Now that I'm a mom....Mother's Day has a whole new meaning. I feel that Mother's Day isn't just about appreciating your mom (because if your only doing that one day a year you have your priorities messed up), but its about celebrating motherhood. I feel special just being included in this day.
I love the funny songs people sing about motherhood (Here are two funny ones Bohemian Rhapsody & The Mom Song). We can laugh at the sleepless nights, the numerous diapers, the spit up in our hair, and that our bodies will never be the same. But we all know the things we love...the late night cuddles, the bright unconditional smiles that greet us, the forming of a unique human being that only God could have blessed us with, and the pure joy that comes from the sound of their laughter.
It's the most rewarding, challenging, and life giving task you'll ever do and yet -- being a mom really is the best.
So you know what I want to do for Mother's Day? Whether it's breakfast in bed or a BBQ outside, I just want to spend the day with my baby girl and celebrate just being a mama. (Mom -- you were right!)
So here's to you Mamas...may you be celebrated today rocking your macaroni necklace and the flowers picked from the field out back and know that the journey of motherhood is like no other and you've been blessed to be on it.

Beautiful post! Happy Mother's Day to all!
ReplyDeleteAw I love this! I know I'm so late to read it, but it was still quite touching :) Yay for mommy-hood!
ReplyDelete